Thursday, February 11, 2010

Birds Of Belle Hill

Outside my kitchen window is a bird feeder. Being out in the middle of acres and acres of wooded land I noticed quite a variety of birds that seem to come and go with the seasons. Some easily recognizable while I had no idea what some of the others were. I started photographing them in an attempt to identify just what some of these little guys were. Patrick bought me a bird book for my birthday last year that has helped enormously.

In addition to the birds that were regular visitors at the feeder, I would always see large soaring birds swooping and circling over the trees. These big guys were not attracted to the feeder and I needed to find a way to bring them in closer to get a better look. So when Wayne Vogt who lives in the guesthouse called and told me he’d shot a wounded deer down in the woods I had him bring it up and put it in my yard out in front of the kitchen windows. Not exactly something you could do in a neighborhood, but it worked.

All of these photos were taken right outside my kitchen window.
                                                                           
American Crow
American Goldfinch Female
American Goldfinch Male

Blue Grosbeaks
Carolina Chickadees
Chipping Sparrow
Bronze Grackle
Common Grackles
Common Grackle Juvenile
Black Vultures
This was a bit odd. During the frenzy of Vultures that descended on the deer I noticed these two in an apparent stand off. I watched as each raised one wing, put one foot forward and appeared to bow
Then they stood up and went at it. Just a coincidence, or is there some kind of honor among  Buzzards?
Cardinal Female

Cardinal Male
Brown Headed Cowbird pair
House Finch pair (Which one do you think is in charge in this family?)
Blue Jays (The hams of the hill)
Eastern Towhee Male 
 
Eastern Towhee Female
 
European Starling
Northern Mockingbird
This crazy Mockingbird got into a fight with his reflection in the windshield of Patrick’s car and continued attacking it for hours.
Red-Winged Blackbird Female
Red-Winged Blackbird Male
Rose Breasted Grosbeak Female
Rose Breasted Grosbeak Male
Song Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Robin
Red-Bellied Woodpecker Male and Female
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Hairy Woodpecker Female
Northern Harrier
Junco
Tufted Titmouse
Turkey Vulture
 Summer Tanager Male
White-Breasted Nuthatch



 With spring on the way there is no telling what else may show up at Belle Hill, so I’ll keep an eye on the feeder for any new comers.

No comments:

Post a Comment